Saturday, July 18, 2009

They Walk Beside Us

I see dead men and women walking. At home. At family gatherings. At work. At the mall. They work. Play. Love. Laugh. Hug. Cry. Nevertheless, they are still dead. Do you see them? We don't need a sixth sense to know they exist; all we have to do is open our eyes. Our ears. Our hearts. They walk beside us. And they will continue to walk. Dead. In their sins. And hopeless. Until someone shares God's love with them. We who were once one of them have a responsibility to speak the unalterable truth found in Romans 6:23. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. The Bible presents a clear picture of sin, death, and life. All of us sin. Sin leads to death. But God in His amazing, unfailing, everlasting, never-disappointing love offers life. Not death. God gives life. Eternal. Abundant. Through His only Son. The One who died so that we could live. The evil one does not want those who are without Christ to hear that God desires to give them life. That in God's great kindness, He wants to lead them to repentance. Confession. Repentance. Forgiveness. All are paramount in escaping sin's penalty. The world doesn't always accept this message with open arms. Or without opposition. However, Jesus paid the wages--the price--of our sins and we now have new life and the sure promise of spending eternity with our loving God. We have to share the truth so that the dead walking among us. The hurting. The sick. The lonely. Those who are afraid. Who are dead in their sins. May choose to walk the rest of their days alive in Christ Jesus their Savior. Do we see them? Hear them? Love them? Sweet dreams, Deb

9 comments:

  1. Excellent Deb.

    I wrote a post on "dead men walking" too, only compared it to Christians who are not living in the joy of all that Jesus has given us. Although having received Christ's forgiveness, they are only going through the motions and being buried alive. Indifference and dejection characterize their existence.

    Thankfully, God is a God of resurrection. He specializes in bringing the dead back to life.

    Because He lives,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,

    As usually this is very good. I always enjoy reading your blogs.

    Nothing is as valuable as one's soul, and our Lord makes it so easy for us to ask him to forgive our sins and live in our hearts.
    God is the one that gave up everthing. I love theis verse........For God so loved the world he gave His only Begotten Son so that we would not perish but have
    everlasting life. John 3:16

    If you are dead just ask Jesus for His resurrection power.

    I love you,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyful,
    I'll get over to your blog and read that post. Sounds intriguing.

    JP,
    I love that verse too. We all need His resurrection power.

    Thanks for your comments. I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I see them. So much so, I sometimes balk from being with them. The burden is growing within me to tend to this; I find so much offensive about the world I'm walking in. How I pray for the willingness of heart and the discernment of the Spirit to know how to walk it well.

    My heart is overwhelmed with the thought tonight...

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it...until we share His love.

    Thanks for the reminder that we should not hesitate because He has given us rivers of living water for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, sorry, I didn't give a link to the post I mentioned. Here it is: http://ponderinginhispresence.blogspot.com/2009/06/prison-break.html

    oops!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Deb! I want to have more of a burden for the lost. To have my heart broken the way God's heart is broken for those who reject Him.

    I enjoyed our talk so much today ... thanks for your feedback, prayers and support. I will email you the resources I told you about shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, I do see them, and my heart breaks. But does it break enough? Does it hurt so that I can no longer stand the pain of doing nothing?

    We know they are all around us; yet, we do not really do much, I fear. May God help me to love and to share in His wisdom the truth of Calvary.

    Thank you for this beautiful, inspiring post. Thank you for your prayers for me, too.

    Many, many blessings to you this Wednesday evening. I write to you from Missouri, where my dear husband and I are visiting my sweet son and his precious family.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. You are such a great writer, Deb! Love this. I always think of Schindler, weeping over his car, his ring, as he prepared to leave at the end. Breaking down over how he "could have saved one more". That was one of the most spiritually moving messages to me.

    ReplyDelete