Friday, July 10, 2009

Risky Business

Classified information. My husband knows. So do Big Sis and JP . And a friend. And God. I intended to keep it that way. No reason to get anyone else involved. Risky business. Someone could get hurt. In my mind, I heard God say, "Tell it." I said, "No way. Please. I'll write about anything else. But not this." Maybe you've held similiar conversations with God. You want one thing; God wants something else. Which do we choose? Our way. Or His. Disobedience or obedience. The stakes are high. Take Saul for example. God's anointed. First king of Israel. And the first to have the crown stripped from him. How did that happen? Well, basically, Saul chose his own way. Not God's. Look at what Saul's disobedience cost him. Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord. So the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse (1 Chronicles 13a & 14). Saul lost the kingdom. His sons. His own life. Why such severe consequences? Because Saul didn't "keep the word of the Lord." He failed to obey God's word to him. He failed to respect God's word. He failed to act responsibly toward God's word. I want to "keep the word of the Lord." Obey His word. And respect His word. Accept the responsibility of having received His word. Don't you? Even when our obedience includes risk. The risk of being misunderstood. Rejected. Humiliated. I'd like to end this post here. But I can't. I believe that He wants me to share the rest of His story. I've dreamed of writing for more than ten years. A few months ago, I offered all that I have to Him: My heart. The dream that He put in my heart. The idea to start a blog. A good grasp of grammar. That's all I had. A rather impoverished offering. I asked Him to bless the offering. To break it. To distribute it in any way that pleased Him. You know like when the man offered Elisha twenty loaves of barley bread and one hundred hungry prophets ate and there were leftovers. And like when Jesus accepted the the loaves and the fish, and He fed a multitude--five thousand to be exact. There were leftovers then as well. Jesus accepted my offering. Now here's the wild part. The part that's so difficult to disclose. The risky part. I believe that He wants me to ask Him for five thousand people to be influenced for Him through my writing. Maybe you think that I'm arrogant. Prideful. Presumptuous. To think of praying for such an outrageous thing. Plus, what could He do with a little-known blog and some private journals? Surely, nothing like that. So, I refused to pray according to His leading at first. But then I realized that I had a choice. I could obey and"keep the word of the Lord." Or I could disobey His word. Everything is on the line. Skyhigh stakes. Sweet dreams, Deb

14 comments:

  1. 4,999 to go.

    Audacious, yes. But isn't that how He is? I like to think He gets a little chill when we pray outrageous things. When we actually trust Him for something "high stakes."

    That's a good thing.

    Thanks for taking the risk to share so we can join with your in your outrageous prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stakes of disobedience are high, you are right. So, thank you for obeying... and God will do the rest as through your obedience you tap into the supernatural.

    Praying with you, Deb.

    Love
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I hope you will take time to visit my blog today (http://ponderinginhispresence.blogspot.com/2009/07/give-me-success.html) I have to admit to being somewhat hesitant to post what I did this morning, for fear that many wouldn't understand, but now I know that is not true. You will understand.

    As "iron sharpens iron" you have encouraged me with your step of faith today in a BIG God who calls us outside our comfort zones to trust Him with BIG assignments.

    Praying the greatest outcome of your obedience will be a fresh encounter with Him.

    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can count me in as one!

    There were leftovers because there was still potential in them. Jesus said to gather the leftovers so that none is lost. So that none of the potential in them is lost.

    There is so much potential even in what appears to be the fragments of our lives.

    He continues to AMAZE me!

    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends,

    I'm amazed by your support. I was so afraid to share something so personal. So risky.

    I'm an ordinary woman trying to serve an outrageous God. Your prayers are taking my fears away.

    It's so good to know that God is asking others to take great risks in doing His business. I am not alone.

    Thank you for believing our loving,great, and mighty God with me.

    I praise Him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. According to the "Followers" button, you have 4985 to go (-:..but there are many who read and are influenced without adding their names or comments..I pray that God will let you know the 5000 to the glory of His Name.
    Deb, you have a style that publishers love..it is succinct, honest, clear and most of all, your readers identify as you articulate their experiences and show them through God's filter.
    Thank you for caring for me.
    Love, Sita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in! It takes time to build a readership, but God is faithful to bring the harvest. Keep planting the seeds and trust him for the rest. I, too, harbor dreams that have morphed and changed over time. God is shaping those. It's taken a long time, but I feel as if I'm finally getting somewhere.

    You are a gifted communicator, Deb. If I can ever be a source of better encouragement for you, please let me know. You are welcome to call or email anytime.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sita,
    I'm so thankful that God gave me the go ahead to start this blog. I got to "meet" you. You are so good to encourage me.

    Elaine,
    Thank you for the offer. I intend to take you up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I love making new friends.

    Nothing is too big or great for our God. Follow where He leads my friend, no matter how big the dream.

    Great meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I am praying for this for you! When God gives us an assignment it is always God-sized! Good thing He's the Creator of the universe and can do anything He wants accomplished!

    I'm proud of you for obeying and laying it all out there. He will bless that! I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're moving after 18 years, back to my husband's home town. I absolutely love my life where I am, but God said, "Go." I explained it to my boys this way: God will bless us in the going; we won't be blessed in the staying. Obedience to what God either shouts at you or whispers to you is the only choice. Be blessed today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey mom this one was good the first paragraph really grabs you and makes you want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Son,

    And your comment makes me want to grab you and hug you.

    I love You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go, Deb! Your boldness to share His dream for you to influence 5000 makes me want to shout for joy! Thanks God! Keep using Deb for your glory! I'm blessed to be one of the 5000!

    ReplyDelete