Monday, May 11, 2009

Core Strength

"Add some weight. Pick up your bar. Knees are slightly bent. Tummy in. Shoulders up. Ready?" My exercise instructor clicks the remote control, and the music starts. "Here we go," she says. She spits out commands: "Singles!" "Wide grip. Triples!" "One more set!" "Don't quit on me now!" "Almost there!" The students obey and that's how in one hour, twice weekly, Body Pump 69 transforms our weak, less-than-perfect bodies into skinny, but strong ones that have six-pack abs, firm biceps, and taut triceps. Ok. Ok. So I'm not there yet. Not even close. But I am getting closer to my goal. I'm a runner, and I want to becomer a faster runner with greater endurance. Running strengthens my legs; however, I have to cross train so that other important muscle groups get a work out. Together, running and cross training provide a balance that strengthens my core. As disciples of Christ, we need to strengthen our spiritual core. How do we accomplish that? How do we become stronger believers? In Hebrews 12:12 the writer instructs us, "Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." The best way to change weakness into strength is by listening to God. We listen as we study His word daily. God reveals Himself to us through His word. His word strengthens us. We cross train by talking to Him. Talking to God includes offering Him thanks, praise, and worship. We confess and repent. We call on Him. We cry in His presence. No detail is insignificant to Abba. Peter writes, "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you"(1Peter 5:7). Our loving God desires to be intimately involved in our daily lives. Will you take some time to listen to the Savior? He has so much to say to you about His love-- His peace--His promises. Have you talked to Him lately? If you answered no, it's ok. Talk to Him now. More than anything else, He wants to hear your voice. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. He's the source of our strength.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Deb. I enjoyed reading this. I need to take a little more time in both of those areas. I am so proud of you for writing about something good. I read your profile and tears of happiness filled my eyes. You and Mel are the perfect couple. I know all the years were not easy, but look what you have. I wish I had that. I hope Keiva and Trey have payed close attention to their parents and can follow in your's and Mel's footsteps.

    Love, Donna

    ReplyDelete